Monday, July 23, 2007

Nutrition: The importance of water

This is my version of what works for me. Don't expect me to recite what everybody knows about how many glasses a day, or ounces. Let's face it, even something as simple as water makes these so called experts give you a different version. When I was growing up it was 8 glasses of 8 ounces. Now it's 10 glasses of 8 ounces. If you go to other sources it is one ounce per pound, on others one ounce per two pounds. No one seems to know how much is enough.
I think that drinking 8 or 10 glasses a day sounds like one size fits all and that would be impossible. And although the ounces per pound idea sounds more tailor made, I was 210 pounds once, and counld not drink 210 ounces of water, as much as I wanted to. There's also the little matter of how much water is in the fruits and vegetables you eat which is supposed to be added to the water intake.
So what am I doing about this? I drink water when I am thirsty. I drink if I sweat a lot or if I feel hot. And if it is not meal time and I feel hungry, I drink water to make sure that I am not mistaken between hunger and thirst. That is what works for me. To give you an example: I just walked to the local pharmacy and back home. It was hot, so when I got home, I took my water bottle and drank some. How much? I have no idea. I try to drink as much as I feel like as many times as I feel like. I decided this obsession with numbers has to stop, so I don't count ounces anymore. And you know what? I feel great. (Keep in mind, I bought a big water bottle that I refill twice a day, so I know for a fact I am drinking way more than ten glasses a day, but the exact number does not interest me).
Keep trying.

No comments:

My secret hideaway

My secret hideaway